Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Told Under the Magic Umbrella


Ventura, California. The Calico Cat Bookshop on Main Street. I picked up a red-bound volume. It fell open to the illustration below, and my childhood came back in one pristine rush, as Charlotte Rampling's character says in Stardust Memories.The stories and pictures were already deeply known to me, yet I'd completely forgotten them until that moment. Strange to think what's locked inside the mind, waiting for the rattle of a key!



The wonderful illustrations are by Elizabeth Orton Jones (1910-2005). 




I bought this book on August 13, 2009 at the Calico Cat Bookshop, Ventura, CA.

Literature Committee of the Association for Childhood Education. Told Under the Magic Umbrella. New York: The MacMillan Company, 1939.
Illustrated by Elizabeth Orton Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment